Wednesday 25 July 2012

Harper's Fashion Inspiration


To start off the new week I wore an electric blue calf length pleated skirt, which I felt banished any Monday Morning Blues anyone else in the office might have been feeling after their long week end, with a white crochet vest. I thought it was v cool. 

I spent the day doing various bits of admin and I'm also spending a lot of time sorting out the archives, so am totally immersed in vintage Harper's, which is also v cool and total fashion inspiration: I am so feeling some drop waist beaded flapper dresses with a feather head band right now. 
I always love a good bit of vintage clothes shopping, but am feeling really fired up for a hunt now! I know there are some vintage/second hand clothes markets in the East Village on week ends; I might have to get down there next Saturday and take several hours to trawl through their goodies. Vintage New York is definitely something my wardrobe needs...

I do think that London girls have an edgier, more individual style than all the well tuned out New Yorkers I've seen. Maybe in Brooklyn and Williamsburg, where everything is renowned for being slightly more daring and bold, this isn't so much the case, but here in Manhattan the style is very cool, very fashionable, very in; very safe. Vintage, hand made or customised isn't something you see a lot of. 
Maybe that was why my Chanel inspired black and white dogtooth jacket, with my addition of sewn on fur collar, received some serious admiration. 
And I know that the jacket sounds ridiculous in this heat, but seriously, with this air con, a fur coat is needed. 
Damn. I missed a trick there. 

1 comment:

  1. How many teenage boys do you know that hang around 1950's sing-a-long diners? Maybe ya'll need to start thinking strategically Boz.

    Stella Dallas- 218 Thompson st is a good little vintage shop. Lots of Mexican fiesta dresses and 60's shifts. Since you left I've got really into brocade. I want a brocade 70's trouser suit. I think we should all get trouser suits this Autumn. FACT.

    I love this blog. I hope you're going to keep doing it through first year at uni. I would LOVE that. xx

    ReplyDelete